Monday, January 14, 2008

'Some day "Tom" I will understand'

Hello from Kanchanaburi, Thailand. Arrived here today after hopping on a bus from Bangkok. Kanchanaburi is best known as the site of the Bridge Over the River Kwai, and there is a lot to see here relating to the experiences of POWs, which suits a history teacher like me (and anybody with any sense of the importance of the past.)

It's hard not to get emotional as you wander among the graves here in the war cemetery, where over 6000 Allies are buried - most of them Dutch, which was something that I didn't know. Allied deaths also pale against the number of locals who died at the hands of the Japanese army, with over 100,000 killed. It's hard to read the messaged inscribed on the grave stones by loved ones, particularly as many of the dead were younger than I am now. It's also awful to think about how terribly they died. There are many messages about dying nobly in service to one's country, but it's hard to imagine there was nobility in dying of starvation, dysentry or cholera. To think that these men needlessly died because of the cruelty of the Japanese army is awful to think about. It's easy to see why so much bitterness remains.

There were many poignant messages, including the one in the photo below, which I think captures the whole thing best. I hope Tom's parents were able to understand, but since I struggle to do so, I don't know if it was possible for them. There was also a message from a mother who said that since her son was buried in a foreign land, would visitors put a flower on her son's grave for her, so of course I did.

More on the cemetery tomorrow, and also on the Hellfire Pass museum, where we're headed tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rod Murray said...

I am following the Blog when I get a chance. Just so you kmow, for every one person who laves a comment, there are about 4 or 5 that are reading along.
I've had many people tell me they read every word of my Blog rants, but never commented. Apparently, there are lots of folks whose lives are mundane and need to read what other people are doing...I know since I am one of them now.

Ian said...

This experience should be had by more people, especially those who think war can solve problems!!
Seeing Uncle Ian's grave would have been eerie, knowing that you're related. Thanks for the photo.