Thursday, January 10, 2008

Luang Prabang

Well I was glad I opted for the 35 minute flight versus the 10 hour bus ride from Vientiane to Luang Prabang! I'd say I was getting soft in my old age, but I think I was born soft... Long bus trips are out in my book.

Luang Prabang is well hyped, and it's a pretty good spot to check out. Lots of narrow alleyways with local markets containing delicacies such as live frogs, bugs and rats. It's really touristy (as you'd expect) but it manages the tourism hype pretty well. There are stacks of people here, including heaps and heaps of young people (as in straight out of school age) which is a bit surprising considering this is more of a cultural destination. I guess it's a good spot between Thailand and Vietnam, and there are plenty of kayaking and trekking options about the place.

I'm ready to chill out for a bit. I'm in a bit of a mid-trip slump at the moment. I need to turn off my brain for awhile. Might see if I can find myself some local opium...

No comments: