Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A beer with my dad's uncle



Yesterday I found the gravestone of my dad's uncle Ian (who my dad was named after). He died - apparently of dysentry - at the age of 26 while a Prisoner of War on the Burma railway. Or perhaps murdered would be a more apt way of putting it, after wandering through a few museums, which all too graphically display various forms of punishment and torture used against the prisoners.



I had SMSd my dad to find out if his uncle and father had been at Changi or the Burma railroad, and he told me that his uncle had died at the Burma railway, so I thought I'd see if I could find his grave, which I was able to do despite the 6000 odd graves.

I figured I should leave something and wandered back to the place we're staying hoping to come across a place that sold something apt - maybe a flag or a token of remembrance. But I couldn't find anything. But I had another idea and went into a Seven Eleven and bought a couple of beers. There weren't any Aussie beers available, so I grabbed some Heineken instead. Considering the number of Dutch graves (more than any other Allied group) he was probably mates with more than one.

So I went back to the cemetery and put a beer on his grave and drank the other one. A good place to reflect on the tremendous loss that must have bee felt by his own family, and the families of all the others killed needlessly.

I left him a note with his beer and headed off. No doubt one of the Thai gardeners will enjoy a Heineken tonight, which is fitting considering how well they look after the cemetery.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Touching and heartfelt (a new side to you I wasn't aware of?!!)

Your Dad must be stoked to see you've made this pilgrimage. Bloody awful business wasn't it. Glad you're enjoying your trip. The blog looks great.

Gab

Ian said...

Steve, Good coverage of the situation. We have printed off your comments and photos and will give them to Aunty Jean when we see her Thursday afternoon. I am sure she will be appreciative of your efforts.

Rod Murray said...

A very moving moment, Steve, I'm sure, and done with great thoughtfulness and just the right amount of Australian cheekiness...
As for me, I would have been too shaken up to write the note.
Can you tell how you were able to find the grave site?

Rod
PS see my similar quest in Rookwood cemetery, Sydney, NSW, on behalf of a friend of my mother's...

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rmurray69/blog/2007/11/days-312-316-full-circle-back-to-sydney.html