Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Similan Islands

Well I've got my morning tasks out of the way, and figured I'd add the last couple of posts about Thailand. Not that anyone is probably reading them now that I'm back in the mundane world of work.

I spent a day out in the Similan Islands, which are known as one of the best places in the world for diving. There are nine islands out there, and they're about 60 ks from the mainland, which ends up being about 90 minutes on a speedboat. Better than risking it, I ended up taking a sea-sick tablet prior to leaving, which were given out by the tour company. Considering these were some no-brand Thai tablets I probably could've ended up worse for wear from the tablet, but all was okay.

The boat was chock full of Swedes and Germans, with a couple from the US who weren't very friendly, so I'll just assume that they're Bush-loving Republican fundamentalists and not worth talking to. Entertainment was provided by our guide, who I'll call Shane because it sounded like that, but was more likely Chang or Chai or something. This lad was very exuberant, if you get my drift, and didn't want to get his hair wet because it had just been straightened. We figured he was probably in training to become a katoy. To each there own. He was very entertaining on the long ride over.

On a side note, asthmatics need not worry if you want to do a boat trip to the Similans. No smorking is allowed at all the boat. Being full of Europeans, plenty lit up their smorks once they got on land, so if smorking bothers you, jump into the water where people can't smork because their smorks would go out. (Love the 2nd grade translating!)

I saw a few flying fish on the way over, which was pretty neat. I kept seeing all these things that looked like birds flying low over the water, until I got to see one fairly close up and it was definitely a fish. So that was pretty neat. Gave me something to look at in addition to the very unseaworthy looking Thai fishing boats.

The Similan islands were spectacular. Beautiful white beaches, clear blue water and great snorkling (not smorking - though one sign I saw advertised smocking tours. Also towling trips, which was one I couldn't figure out...) I'd definitely recommend a trip out to the Similans. They can get busy, so try to stay out at the National Park if you can.

If you head over there, take the time to climb up to Sail Rock, which offers superb views. The trek up in treacherous, with ropes to climb up rocks and shaky looking wooden planks. Though for me the top provided the greatest threat - finding out that you're sharing the view with a bunch of speedo-wearing Russians was a real concern, and I'm lucky I didn't jump off the cliff to escape them.

This is, I'm sure, further proof that the speedo is a communist plot...

No comments: