Monday, October 08, 2007

Lightning over Indonesia

I'm bleary-eyed in Singapore at the moment, after a 3am flight on Tiger Airways from Darwin to Singapore. With no sleep before the flight and next to no sleep during the flight, I'm now pretty tired and keen to get on to Bangkok so I can have an early night and a decent sleep.

Tiger Airways can be mighty cheap. Fortunately, after the Royal Brunei fiasco (which incidentally isn't resolved, since I called them this morning to arrange a refund and they said they'd check and email me about it. Not promising!) Tiger was on sale and I got return flights for just over $350. Most of the time I'd say that I'd happily stand up for four hours if it meant bargain fares, but once you're in there cramped into the tightest seats it's impossible to get comfortable. I tried four or five different positions without success, eventually giving up to watch the world go by out the window. This isn't normally a productive thing to do at 4 in the morning, but mother nature was fortunate enough to put on a lightning spectacular pretty much the whole way.

I'm currently hanging out with Desley from the Canadian exchage brigade for a few hours to have a shower and crash on the couch for a few hours. Back to the airport shortly for the leg up to Bangkok. Flying Cathay Pacific for this leg, which is good. Not often a five-star airline is cheaper than the budgets!

Congratulations for reading this far! Posts about red-eye flights must rate very highly in the entertainment stakes. But what can I say - typing is keeping me awake for a little bit longer...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Desley write this blog? Love G & M

Rod Murray said...

Got home bleary eyed after the all nighter from Darwin-Brissie-Melbourne. I think Virgin bought the same seats as Tiger airlines- not enough tilt in the seat for sleeping on a red-eye flight in my opinion! Thanks again for a great couple of days!
First time I've been on the grumpytraveller...really liked the letter to the Secretary of the UN...Speedos were banned in Canada years ago!