Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Bangkok - Hazy one day, smoggy the next

I'm dealing with Blogger in Thai at the moment. Not sure how to convert it over to the English lagnuage, but I'll press on and hope that I click on the right button when I go to post this.

I've been in Bangkok for two nights now, and have one more tonight before flying up north to the Golden Triangle, renowned for it's opium trade. You know, I was planning to try to track down some heroin and import it back into Australia via Singapore, but such is the power of deterrence that the Bali 9 death sentences have had over me, I will no longer risk it: (Today is World Day Against the Death Penalty - sign the petition here)

My sister emailed me asking if I was used to the Bangkok smell yet, but I can't say that I am. It hasn't been too overpowering, though there are pockets where you walk a tad faster. But beyond the smell, you need to get used to the noise and the smog as well, and those things are harder to avoid. Despite being known as one of the most polluted cities in world (and looking out the hotel window today verifies that) it's not a bad city to spend a few days. The Thai people are very welcoming, and aren't overbearing when it comes to shopping or touting their services. The food, as always, is fantastic!

Haven't really been to too many sites. Went to Jim Thompson's House yesterday as it's just down the road from where I'm staying. Jim Thompson is famous (apparently)for re-introducing the Thai silk trade into the western market. His house has been converted into a museum which contains a lot of South East Asian artefacts, and it was worth a look. Other than that, have been entertaining myself with some of the malls around Siam Square as well as a few trips on the Sky Train. It's always good getting out and about up and down alleyways and visiting the local markets.

The hotel I'm staying at has an infinity pool on the thirteenth floor looking out over the city. Might go off for a swim!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve - You can have more dramas setting off on a ten day holiday than we can in 3 months. Mind you, Julie is ready to head south and it looks like she might have serious turbo problems. Hope to get her car looked at tomorrow in Katherine. Great to catch up with you in Darwin. Cheers, Heather and Jim