Sunday, October 01, 2006

Blogging the travels

To save people the time of reading my emails if they really can't be farked, I've decided to start blogging my trips away. So those who don't want to read, don't have to click here to read it. But considering how wonderfully I can put together an email of my travels, no doubt this sight will be a hit (ha ha.)

I've just spent about half a day in Siem Reap, after 24 hours in Singapore. Have had very little sleep in that time due to impossibly early flight times, so today has been a bit of bludge until I'm ready to hit the Angkor temples tomorrow. Actually, I'll hit them tonight because if you buy the tickets after 4:45pm you can get in a free sunset, so that's what I'll do.

To use the time a little more productively than lounging around the hotel, I've gone out of a couple of walks. This is the first time I've been in a developing Asian country in 11 years, and it didn't take long for the similarities to arise. First, the traffic is amazingly bad. Crossing the road is an effort deserving of a Victoria Cross in my opinion. So far I've survived, but mainly because the locals are obviously adept at swerving around bumbling tourists. I ended up in the markets on both of my walks out of the hotel to date, and the smell of meat and fish (most of which is just sitting around) is pretty repugnant. There's a fair bit of litter everywhere to, so in all the smell is pretty bad. But that's an urban area in developing Asia for you. Nothing too terrible.

The markets are popular for tourists, and since shopping doesn't rate at all highly on my travel "Do's" list, I'll give them a miss from now on. There are beggars everywhere which is very confronting. Unlike those in New York and Toronto, where I think giving to beggars probably isn't the most helpful thing to do, it was very tempting to offer something. Especially to the man with no arms who was chasing after me waving what remained of his arms at me. Info at the hotel was ambivalent about giving, suggesting that a donation to charity is better. I was on my way to the ATM anyway, and only had cash in my money belt, so I decided not to give, as the last thing I wanted to do was forage around for money in such a public place. Maybe I'll whack in a couple of bucks in a pocket for the future. I don't know... I don't want to start a crowd by giving to one. Poverty sucks.... I blame George Bush. Less money for pointless wars and more for development!

Singapore was all right for 24 hours. It's not a bad stop-over destination. Neat, clean, safe and quite picturesque. Very, very western (Starbucks and Maccas everywhere) but still worth a look. I don't think I'll mind spending a day or two there in the future when I'm stopping over to somewhere a bit more exciting.

Not much else to report so far... it's been the pretty standard airport, flight, immigration, customs routine so far. If you ever come to Cambodia, get an e-Visa online first. You can skip most of the queue and get through immigration first. I got through so quickly there was no-one at customs so I just kept walking out of the terminal. I bet there are people still in there!

The hotel I'm staying at in Siem Reap (www.thevillasiemreap.com for my dad who will want to check it out) is pretty good. Good size room, air conditioner and pay TV. Don't know if they'll show the NRL grandfinal, but I missed the AFL due to no TV where I was staying in Singapore. Sounds like a nailbiter. Should be a good NRL grand final too.

Anyways, will see if I can add another blog or two in the next couple of days.

Have a good one! (PS - Leave me a comment!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.