Sunday, December 19, 2010

Delhi explorations continued

On the tour, I visited a couple of temples (the Sikh and Jain temples... Sikhism is more appealing, if only for the fact they didn't hassle for a "donation" to the temple and to the guide...). We also went through a number of marketplaces, including an old market that is now used for housing (a term that I think should be used differently in India to just about anywhere else in the world...). The views were great and the camera got a workout, although I did my best to avoid intruding too much. It has been a real dilemma here... sites such as the Red Fort are great, but it is the everyday of existence of people that really appeals to me, and I'm not too sure how ethical that is....

After a couple of quick stops at the Mahatma Gandhi museum and memorial (and a stop at a shop, no doubt for commission purposes, where I was guilted into buying a couple of souvenirs... no doubt always part of the tour!) I arrived back, through the mass of humanity that are the markets, with hoards of people vying for either a bargain or a sale, spending an hour or so watching the sun set on the rooftop terrace. A few things struck me as I sat there... first, the number of mobile phone towers seemingly attached to anything, but more interestingly was the amount of life that is conducted on roofs. Some boys were playing cricket, others handball, but the biggest craze by far was kite flying. There were more kites than birds in the sky, with a huge number of men on the roof flying kites. I wonder if its a craze (like the occasional yo yo crazes of my childhood) or whether it is firmly entrenched.

Anyway, off to Kathmandu tomorrow. Will have to return to India again for sure!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back Steve!
I'll go to India with you!
Jen x

Elizabeth said...

I told Mick that we would not be having kids until we did a tour through India. But here I sit in Mississippi rocking my son while his Uncle Steve blogs about what I imagine! Enjoy it, Steve, and take lots of photos! And keep up the blogging. I'm reading your adventures to Henry!

Ian said...

Glad to see the hassle of the Visa was worthwhile and that it sounds like you are enjoying yoiur visit.
Try to post some photos from time to time, because I would suggest that is as close as Mum and I will get to India. (Maybe a luxury train trip one day!!!!??)
Sitting here watching Buddy and Stan pull baubles of the Christmas tree and spend time chasing them around the lounge. Keeps them busy for quite a while. Your sister went off to work in a grump this morning as she couldn't find her sun glasses.
Have fun.

Ian said...

Glad to see the hassle of the Visa was worthwhile and that it sounds like you are enjoying yoiur visit.
Try to post some photos from time to time, because I would suggest that is as close as Mum and I will get to India. (Maybe a luxury train trip one day!!!!??)
Sitting here watching Buddy and Stan pull baubles of the Christmas tree and spend time chasing them around the lounge. Keeps them busy for quite a while. Your sister went off to work in a grump this morning as she couldn't find her sun glasses.
Have fun.

Rod Murray said...

Have you not read/seen "The Kite Runner?"

Karen said...

Hey! I was also grumpy because I have to work every damn day over xmas / new years whilst everyone else gets to enjoy time off! Steve, Delhi sounds very cool indeed, now I definitely want to go. Checked out the Hotel online, looks like a really good little place to stay. Bummer you didn't get more time there - oh well, it's cheap and not too far away!

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel