Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve in Bhutan

This will just be a quick post because I'm on a time limit... I'm in Punakha at the moment, which is in central Bhutan. It is much warmer here... almost balmy! and the scenery is quite different. It would be beautiful in the spring, because at the moment all of the rice paddies are empty and brown and not altogether appealing to look at.

The drive yesterday took me over the Dochu La pass, which offered amazing views of the eastern Himalayas... photos to come. We visited a stupa this morning after a 45 minute steady climb (slowly getting the hang of it!) for great views over the valley. We are visiting the Punahka Dzong this afternoon, which is a spectacular old fortress and the confluence of two rivers.

I will write more when I have more time. We are driving further east tomorrow where internet apparently hasn't reached, so I will wish Merry Christmas to everyone now. My guide has offered to let me use his computer this evening, and if he does, I will write another post then.

No comments: