Monday, September 28, 2009

A possible blog resurrection? Redang Island, Malaysia

So I haven't blogged in awhile, and was wondering whether to keep it up, but considering I'm on holidays at the moment, having come down with a cold, and with a comedy of errors seemingly stalking me the whole time, I figured now is a better time as ever to be grumpy!

I'm currently on Redang Island off the east coast of peninsula Malaysia. The island is really nice, with a clean, white beach and really clear water. The island is pretty well known for its resorts, rather than catering for the independent traveller, so it probably wasn't the best choice for me, but it's easy, with everything laid on (except booze, which is way more expensive than Langkawi or Thailand...)

I had originally intended to head a little further north to the Perhentian Islands, but after arriving in Kuala Terengganu on a Saturday (which is like our Sunday... nothing open) I wandered around the hot and humid streets looking for an ATM and an open travel agent. Despite passing about 384 Hotlink Mobile phone stores, you'd think you'd come across an ATM, but no luck. I had a handful of ringgit, but needed more and eventually stumbled into a 7-11 where there was an ATM, and got out the cash I needed. Not too far down the road, I wandered into an open travel agent and asked them to send me to the nearest island with a half decent beach.

Perhaps I may have investigated things a little further if being hot and bothered was all that was impacting on my mind, but sitting in Singapore airport a few hours earlier, I realised that I'd booked the wrong return flight, requiring a mad dash to an available internet terminal to rectify my stupid mistake (you think by now I could use a calendar effectively... I am a low level educational bureaucrat after all...). So I was flustered and didn't want to think anymore, so hear I am on Redang Island, home of the non-alcoholic all inclusive resort, and not a place designed for the independent traveller. But the beach is nice, the snorkeling pretty impressive and I can indulge in a bit of doing nothing for a few days to recharge the batteries.

I do have a few photos I will upload later - sadly, my brand spanking new Panasonic camera has decided to shit itself, so I won't get too many more shots (save the odd mobile phone photo). They are doing a bit of filming on the beach, including what could count as Malaysia's equivalent of Girls Gone Wild (but being conservative Malaysia, it was just a few girls in bikinis walking up and down the beach... oooh, risque!)

That's about all for now. I will keep resting up today and hope that this cold doesn't take hold...

No comments: