Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chicks in burqinis

Tonight is my last night on Redang Island. Am back to Singapore tomorrow for a night, then back to Darwin on Friday night, arriving at the convenient time of 2am... Actually, leaving here has come at the right time, considering it has started to rain and I've run out of books to read.

The rain kicked in at about 2pm and kept going til about 6:30. The entertainment from my balcony was watching the bamboo and plastic greenhouse they'd built fall to pieces. No Cert I in General Construction there... Eventually the rain stopped, and I headed out for a stroll on the beach at dusk. It's certainly a top spot for a wander, with the sky darkening and the clouds making an impressive display in the sky. There weren't too many people swimming, except for a group of three women wearing burqinis, which are those whole body and head covering bathers for Islamic women. They don't look very comfortable... At least they could get in the water. I try to be one for tolerance, but that kind of restriction seems over the top to me. By the time I returned from the other end of the beach, two of the women had left and one was lazing in the shallow water. I couldn't help but ponder whether she felt free, or just wished she was.

No comments: